Top 10 Easy Woodworking Projects For Kids
Since my own kids are growing up fast I started having thoughts about doing a woodworking project together at some point. It’s hard to tell when they are old enough to start with some easy woodworking projects for kids but I guess that time will tell. A good sign is when your kids love to watch you work at your workbench and when they start rummaging through your workbench drawers. You may not like it, but it’s a good sign ( and a call to put your tool board up a few inches ).
Start With Simple Woodworking Projects For Children
Kids just love to play and you should let them, just don’t leave them alone with your tools
Not only does building and creating improve their self consciousness, it is simply nice to do something together with them and strengthen your bond.
However if you start a woodworking project together with your children it is important you guide them and support them, as they won’t be able to do things perfectly the first time.
Hence you should pick a simple woodworking project, something they understand and have an overview of what to do.
Having two small rascals myself I was pondering on what they would be able to work on when they’re old enough.
So I decided to make a list of easy woodworking projects for kids that don’t take up too much time.
Note: There is no special order of difficulty in this list!
My Top 10 Of Easy Woodworking Projects For Kids
- Bat house: It’s good to know that you should also teach your kids that bats aren’t evil blood thirsty night creatures before you start on the project. You can find a nice free plan over here: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/wildlife/ndblinds/smallbat.htm
- A go kart : Not very complicated, but be careful when playin with it, this design has no brakes! http://www.kartbuilding.net/Wooden_Go-Kart_Plans/index.html
- Stilts : Children’s toy from the old days and still very popular. They are very easy to build and they’re a joy to play with!
- Bird feeder : Kids love birds and the educational value of building and using on is enormous. For plans A great resource is Ted’s plans
- Play Table: Why play on the floor when the kids can set up their toys on a self-built table? Very straightforward to build and the kids keep an overview of what’s going on.
- Planter box: Kids love plants and animals. Have them build their own planter box and grow their own flowers or vegetables.
- Toy Boat or Battleship : For the boys. An evergreen.
- Bird House: Let them build it and add their own features. Give their fantasy some room to build bird furniture
- Small Chair: Nice in combination with their Play Table.
- Tree House: I can’t really say if this one belongs in the “easy woodworking projects for kids” list as a tree house is not really easy to build. But it’s one of my favorites . This is one for kids around ten years old. You could turn this in to a summer project! This is any boys’ dream. Let the kids design it and you do the work.
There are plenty of other easy woodworking projects for kids you could do with or by your kids. A great source of inspiration is Ted’s Woodworking where you can find numerous children’s woodworking plans at the click of a button.
I really hope this list inspired you to undertake some easy woodworking projects for kids.